Thursday, January 15, 2009

Designing a Workflow

Workflow is basically is thinking of a process of how to work creatively in a smooth, thoughtful manner that allows you to function on an artistic level. For someone with limited resources, like me, designing a workflow becomes even more important so that I have a way of easily accomplishing some of my most repetitive actions.

Technologically, this is my breakthrough - The Canon 5D Mark II. This camera changes things for me because I know how to use, and because I no longer need a lighting or sound crew to tell my story. Basically, all I need is this camera, several different kinds of tripods, a good microphone, a digital recorder and some ambient lights from Ikea.

Artistically: I have to be able to write a compelling story in locations that I could use at my own will, meaning that if I have to shoot a scene again with actors, then I can easily use that location again at the same time as before.

Talent: I found a couple that had the charismatic presence to be in the film. Although their acting experience was limited, my interaction with them made me comfortable that a few extra rehearsals would ensure that the integrity of the final product.

I am attempting to make my workflow organic. My actors are physically close to me and see them several times a week. We have a place to rehearse and we work on scenes until they're perfect (this is a luxury). The equipment I'm using is revolutionary, requiring very little lighting, and the sound, along with some decent headphones can be monitored by me while I'm filming. Also, my inexperienced actors don't have to deal with the pressure of working in front of an entire crew. This, of course, puts them at ease and makes a good performance easier to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment