Thursday, January 15, 2009

Documenting the making of "Spaceland"

I came to Los Angeles to become a filmmaker, and it's been fairly competitive. I haven't broke through, I think, for several reasons, but the most important of those reasons is that I feel now, in retrospect, that I wasn't quite ready. That is, with the right story, and with a specific process that allowed me to realize my vision as a filmmaker.

Several things have happened that have created a re-ignited my artistic ambitions:

1) The Evolution of Filmmaking Technology: Before filmmaker's used to make a big deal out of 24p with the use of cameras like Panasonic's HVX200. Having owned that camera, I wasn't quite feeling the inspiration, and the workflow was so cumbersome and expensive that it was hardly worth the effort. Something happened though. A new camera with better, more impressive technology was released by Canon - The 5D Mark II. I will explain later on why this camera changes everything. For now, let's just say that for a relatively low cost of entry, someone like me can finally work in artistic, paced fashion, rather than getting caught up with the logistics of filmmaking. You don't realize what a big deal this is until you've actually attempted making a film.

2) A Compelling Story - Spaceland: Since USC, I have been a fiction writer, and, I have become distracted, even though I have confidence in my creative abilities. For a couple of years, I even went into advertising in Los Angeles, which was interesting and taught me some lessons, but ultimately, I found unfulfilling and relatively cumbersome. I've written about ten screenplays, some really good and some not-so-good. By writing 120 pages stories, however, I developed the ability to outline ideas in my head without having to sit down and write at all. In other words, I evolved from not knowing what I was going to write to a point where I could think of the entire film, then write it down. Artistically, this was an internal break-through for me.

3) Barack Obama: I'm inspired by the election of this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment