Thursday, February 12, 2009

Scene IV, Film Session



Yesterday, we filmed (photos to come later) the bedroom scene of "Spaceland." This is the scene that begins to make the conflict of the story more clear in the film. I actually rewrote this short scene several times before it actually evolved probably to what it should have been all along. Yesterday, while filming I realized a couple of things. One, pre-production really pays off. Specifically, I'm referring to working and rewriting with actors to nail the performances. The curious thing is that neither actor nailed the scene perfectly during rehearsals, but by the time we started filming, it happened on camera. This, to me, is a fascinating genesis. It just goes to show how the combination of good luck, pressure to perform, practice, a live filming session, and good timing really can work together to create the moment that's necessary when you're filming. It's strangely humbling, and the thing I learned, if anything, is that in an artistic endeavor, it really pays not to force things, but to almost just have faith and let them happen.

The whole session with the actors was very interesting yesterday (and I want to talk about it more later), but also on a technical level I really began to see the benefits of shooting with the 5D Mark II. I was able to find some camera angles, and use it's low light capacity (with various lenses) to get a very distinctive look that's approbo for the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment